Huge scalp for Dons in Village Cup

Hambledon travelled up to Gloucester to play Rockhampton, last years finalists. On a hot day with a good batting track Hewitt lost the toss and the Dons were facing 40 overs in the dirt to start their day. The Dons were staring down the barrel when it became apparent that one of the openers was an absolute gun. He smashed Mark Woodman into a field in his first over and kept whacking it for the majority of his innings. Fortunately for the Dons the bloke up the other end was determined to assist the Dons in keeping the run rate down. Despite not getting any early wickets the Dons kept the run rate in check, with tight bowling from Woodman and Hewitt. Hetherington came into the attack and the match ambled along at just below 5 an over. Collings Wells came into the attack and this time didn't yip up, dismissing the key batsman with a catch from Chapman and keeping pressure on the other opener, who was playing a bizarre innings. Shinn replaced Woodman and bowled a tight spell in the middle overs, going at less than 4 an over. Rockhampton did have a late innings flourish, however they were halted by a good last over by Woodman, who took two wickets, as well as a further two from Collings Wells. They finished on 233, and headed for tea.

Tea was very good. The best away tea of the year, with spectacular sandwiches, plenty of chicken, cakes and fruit. The openers were cursing not being able to have more. 8/10

Hambledon started cautiously and Lavous chipped one up in the air to the opening off spinner on a pitch with turn and bounce. Scutt started positively, and Collings Wells started to get away from the home side with a series of boundaries. Scutt departed caught on the boundary and Marshall continued the good work for the Dons, with the new pair staying on the run rate. JCW brought up another 50 but was not finished, and after Marshall departed Hewitt and Collings Wells increased the pace with series of boundaries and good running. It had been noted that the home side were so confident that they were already planning for Lords. The batsman faced a barrage of woeful chat from the boundary, however they continued to pile on the pressure. Rockhampton brought back their opener and Hewitt departed for a well played 40. Collings Wells kept going about his business, and flayed the tiring opener to the boundary to bring up his second village cup hundred in succession. Humphrey came in and dismissed any pressure that had built up with three boundaries, however he was dismissed moments from the end. The Dons cruised to victory with two overs to spare, cue raucous celebrations and a march to the Demba (Ba).